The Property Manager is accountable for the overall operations of the property, including the profitable operation of the apartment property, while providing excellent customer service and responsible asset preservation. Financial results are measured against the goals stated in the property’s annual budget and Mills’ standards of excellence. Effective performance results in improved operating results for the property.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Duties associated with supervision include: recruiting, hiring, training, evaluation and disciplinary counseling of all on-site associates.
- Exhibit positive attitude during times of change. Take on new tasks with enthusiasm and energy.
- Create an atmosphere that fosters teamwork among all property associates.
- Has ability to obtain and analyze facts, develop logical conclusions through sound reasoning, make decisions willingly and promptly and accept responsibility for own decisions.
- Conduct staff meetings with all property associates on a regular basis. Attend management meetings when scheduled and communicate all necessary information to the staff.
- Ensure implementation and proper usage of all programs, policies and procedures, including resident retention and renewal programs.
- Supervise, plan and attend property activities and events.
- Maintain accurate records for property associates, including employment, time and attendance information and annual performance reviews.
- Communicate with property associates and provide ongoing feedback concerning performance and job growth.
- Maintain open and clear communication with the property staff and Regional Manager.
- Present a professional appearance in accordance with the Mills’ Grooming Guidelines, to include the wearing of uniform apparel and name tag/badge.
- Schedule staffing including work schedules, vacations, holidays, weekend and emergency or after-hours coverage.
- Approve and submit all overtime reports to Regional Manager.
- Complete payroll accurately and submit to Human Resources in a timely manner. Submit bonus paperwork, with backup, to Regional Manager in a timely manner.
- Report and administer all work-related injury/illness incidents.
- Assist Regional Manager in developing an annual budget.
- Ensure all rents are collected and deposits are made in a timely manner.
- Approve and submit all invoices to the corporate office, for approval, in a timely manner.
- Serve Pay or Quit notices on all delinquent residents and actively pursue collection of all outstanding rent balances.
- Perform evictions on delinquent rents and utility cut-offs on new move-ins as required.
- Prepare and follow guidelines of the property operating budget and make recommendations for ways to maximize income and minimize expenses.
- Report or offer recommendations for property capital improvements or repairs.
- Print vendor checks and mail, if applicable.
- Analyze and monitor the property market conditions in order to anticipate market changes or trends that could affect the profitability of the property. Accurately complete the rent ranking on a regular basis. Maintain an accurate knowledge of the property, especially in areas affecting the leasing of apartments such as pricing, square footage, availability, etc.
- Monitor closing ratios of leasing associates to ensure requirements are met. Provide additional training as necessary.
- Oversee, develop and participate in various leasing programs to ensure their success including follow up and understanding the housing needs of prospects.
- Manage all leasing activities at the property to ensure full compliance with equal housing opportunity laws.
- Perform marketing visits to businesses, institutions, and other potential sources of new residents.
- Understand the history, trends and productivity of guest traffic.
- Be familiar with the inventory of apartments that are available for rent at the community.
- Monitor maintenance work-orders and preventative maintenance work to ensure compliance with company policy.
- Monitor quality of all maintenance work.
- Inspect property common areas, models and vacant apartments on a regular basis.
- Complete property inspections on a regular basis.
- Work closely with Capital Project Coordinator to ensure completion of all scheduled capital work.
- Communicate with contractors and vendors concerning scheduling, billing, etc.
- Responsible for organization and maintenance of current files, reports and other property paperwork.
- Complete all reports accurately and timely.
- Responsible for inventory control of office, maintenance shop and all capital replacement items.
- Comply with local, state and federal regulations regarding job and safety information.
- Protect the assets of the property from liability and/or loss.
- Identify unsafe conditions or health and safety issues at the property.
- Maintain accurate records/logs of property damage, property loss, leaks, mold, injury and/or criminal activity or incidents at the property.
- Hold safety meetings monthly and promote safety in the workplace.
Qualifications and Education:
A high school education or equivalent is required, and some college preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication and organization skills are necessary. Must be computer literate and have a good understanding of Excel/Word. The associate must be able to perform all essential duties and responsibilities.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
ACAMor ARM designation is advantageous.
While performing the duties of this job the associate is regularly required to talk or hear. The associate frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands. The associate is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Occasionally the associate may be required to lift more than 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Driving is required to inspect apartment property, visit local neighborhood businesses, run errands and make trips to the bank and the corporate office. A current valid driver’s license, current valid automobile insurance and a good driving record are required.
To perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job an associate will be indoors most of the time, but will have frequent exposure to the outdoors in all weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups.
Must be able to apply principals of logical thinking to a variety of practical situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may occasionally call for minor deviations. Needs to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions.